What Are Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds?
If you have already thought about growing cannabis, you have probably come across several varieties of seeds, including auto-flowering ones. Breeders and reputable seed banks, for example, “Herbies,” market the auto-flowering plant type as having unique growing characteristics and a short flowering period. Are auto-flowering seeds really that good and worth the extra money? Let’s try to understand their features and advantages in our article.
Characteristics of Auto-flowers
Unlike feminized weed seeds, which always produce a female plant and flower based on the number of hours of light they receive, auto-flowering strains flower based on age, being non-photoperiod strains.
Auto-flowering strains have several distinct features that make them ideal for covert or indoor growing:
- These strains, like the feminized ones, produce only females.
- Having reached a certain age (about 2-4 weeks), the plants automatically give out buds.
- On average, you can get a crop within 10 weeks, as the varieties are fast growing.
- At the same time, marijuana bushes grow no more than 1 meter, which is very convenient if you have a limited space to grow.
But for outdoor cultivation, this variety is also excellent, because it has perfect cold tolerance. This way, auto-flowers don’t draw too much attention to themselves and allow you to have multiple crops in one growing season.
Auto-flowering cannabis seeds also tend to be more resilient to pests, diseases, and environmental stress than photoperiod strains. This is because they have been selectively bred to be hardy and adaptive to a wide range of conditions. Additionally, because they have a shorter life cycle, they are less susceptible to issues that can arise during the vegetative growth stage.
Secrets of Successful Growing Auto-flowering Cannabis
When it comes to growing auto-flowering cannabis seeds, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- They have a set flowering time, so it is important to provide them with the nutrients they need to grow quickly and efficiently. You should use a high-quality soil or hydroponic medium and provide them with a nutrient-rich feeding schedule throughout their growth cycle.
- It is important to monitor the temperature and humidity levels in your growing space. Auto-flowering cannabis seeds thrive in a warm, humid environment, but excessive heat or moisture can lead to mold or other issues. A dehumidifier and air conditioning unit can help regulate these conditions and keep your plants healthy.
- Auto-flowering weed seeds need to get enough light. While they do not require a specific light cycle, they still need adequate light to grow and develop properly. Most growers recommend providing 18-20 hours of light per day during the vegetative growth stage and then reducing it to 12 hours per day once flowering begins.
By following the tips above, you can have not only a great harvest but also a unique and interesting growing experience that will appeal to beginners and experienced growers alike.
Critics of auto-flowers often complain about the impossibility of obtaining high yields from the plant. However, auto-flowering strains give growers the ability to produce extremely fast, easy-to-grow crops with excellent cold tolerance several times a year, which fully compensates for this disadvantage.